Changing lives One Card and One Gift at a Time

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Y - Why did “Y”OU become a business owner? You Had Me At “Hello I Am A Business Owner”

Y - Why did “Y”OU become a business owner?

So now that we’ve addressed some reasons why one starts a business, let’s explore why YOU became a business owner. Did you get a chance to look over the 6 steps to a successful small business link from yesterday? I thought the article was a great introduction to walking out the beginnings of business ownership but it didn’t get to the root of why a particular business would be suited for you. Again, we are all individually designed. You could say when the almighty made you he broke the mold! There is no one with the same drive and ambition that you have on this planet so the only person that could answer “why did YOU become a business owner” is YOU!

For the most part, starting and sustaining a business is real personal to the one who created it. Some of us built our business from scratch, meaning that we came up with an idea and implemented the creation of it solely from our imaginations. There are some who are managing someone else's dream making sure its producing to the best of its abilities, then there are those who are given an opportunity packed with the vision, products, and services and all they need to do is add their marketing skills to it, and there are some who inherited a business and are taking it to the next level by staying current with customers needs and wants. However you are running a business, there was a reason why you said YES to it.

Dream and Dream BIG 

I learned about business at a very early age. I watched my father run a successful fishing business on the weekends, teach upholstery classes and sew at the local hobby shop on the Navy base after he retired 24 years from the Navy as Chief of Submarines. Although he didn’t stay retired long, he worked for Honeywell as a project manager for many more years while he kept his side hustle going. I watched him manage his weekend deep sea fishing excursions with ease and pattern boat tops while he worked 40 hour weeks with a sheer smile on his face. He never appeared burden by what he was doing as a matter of fact he took great pride in it. It was clear his drive wasn’t money driven even though the money flowed greatly in all income generating activities. He was doing what he loved.

So I caught the business bug because of the example I saw. I had no fear about owning a business and still have high aspirations to one day own a large design firm. I became a business owner because I love to create. Being able to take an idea from a thought in my head and bringing it into a real form is amazing to me. I have to be honest though the older I get, the more I don’t take risks with my business but I’ve become smarter with what I want to accomplish in business and I recognize that running a business is a part of my DNA.

It’ All On You 

One thing's for sure, you are responsible for your own well being and success. Once you make the decision to venture out and run a business I hope you’ll take the time to ask yourself “Why” and be prepared to answer “How” you’ll handle yourself when business may be slow. Will you worry about where you will get money from and how you will pay your bills? Let me tell you, it’s more than a notion and it takes passion, guts, and real determination to persevere and move forward with your business ideas. With all that being said, I hope this only fuels your fire to get out there and get started. Write down why you became a business owner and post it somewhere you’ll see it everyday. Better yet, make a vision board with your statement and add pictures that signify where you see yourself succeeding in your business. This will only empower you to stay focused during those low moments.

The best advice I could leave you with about the YOU in your business is to take what you are truly passionate about, discover how your passion can help people, create a vision for it, make a plan (business plan), and GO FOR IT!

Why did YOU become a business owner?  We’d love to hear from you so leave a comment on our facebook page! 

Onward and Upward!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Success Store

Visit JimRohn.com Today!

Business Tools

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket